Friday, September 05, 2008

A sad statement

While I was reading the morning paper, the following quote caught my eye. More over is was that the following quote was called a Gem!

"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers." -Edgar W. Howe

Now isn't this statement fitting with what one hears at the end of August. Everywhere you turn mothers are talking about how excited they are to be sending their children off to school. "They will finally be out of my hair", "Oh, it is so good for them to be away from me" and "The pre-school teacher told me that they cried half of the day, but it was good for them." These are all comments I have heard from passing mothers in small talk at summer picnics.

Do you know what my main reason was that I started this homeschooling adventure? I like my children! I did not want to see their little five year old selves walking up to the school and their hearts aching for their mother. I could not suffer in such a way and have my children gone away from me for such a long time.

5 comments:

Marie N. said...

I enjoy the kids' bedtime, and "go-outside-to-play-and-don't-
come-in-till-dinner" time as much as anyone else, but yikes! Calling that quote a gem is sad indeed.

Gina said...

Me too! That is exactly my first and foremost reason to homeschool - there is no job in the world better than being with my child.

debhmom3 said...

Amen Sister.

Nana Porcupine said...

I agree, I was never happy when school started but always enjoyed our summers. Time just goes too fast and children are only children for a short time. I am glad my parents never said that about me and my brother, I truly believe they enjoyed spending time with us as well.

Melynda said...

Just checking in to see how you are feeling?